Contact Us

How to Report Abuse
The law is clear

YOU are a Mandated Reporter!

We all share responsibility for the well-being of children, from birth until official legal adulthood at 18.  If you suspect that a child of any age has been abused or neglected, let DSS and law enforcement make the determination.

  • CALL 911 if you believe the child is in immediate danger.
  • If you suspect sexual abuse, physical abuse or neglect of a juvenile (less than age 18) in Caldwell County, call the Department of Social Services at 828-426-8257 or 828-426-8200 and ask for the intake worker.

You may also make a report in writing or in person to the Department of Social Services, P.O. Box 200, 1966-H Morganton Blvd SW, Lenoir, NC 28645.  Tell everything that you have observed and your specific concerns about the health, safety, and welfare of the child.  Provide the name, address, and age of the child(ren), plus the name and address of the parent/caretaker.

Your concerns are called ALLEGATIONS.  And Remember: The IDENTITY OF THE REPORTING PARTY IS HELD CONFIDENTIAL BY LAW. If in doubt, report!

  • At nights and on weekends (or in cases of extreme emergency), report abuse to the Caldwell County Sheriff’s Department by calling (828) 758-2324.

It is better to be safe than sorry.  Make the contact and allow officials to determine if the child needs protection.