1 in 4 girls is sexually abused before the age of 18.
1 in 6 boys is sexually abused before the age of 18.
1 in 5 children are solicited sexually while on the internet.
30-40% of victims are abused by a family member.
Another 50% are abused by someone outside of the family whom they know and trust.
Approximately 40% are abused by older or larger children whom they know.
Only 10% are abused by strangers.
Nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults (including assaults on adults) occur to children ages 17 and under.
More than 39 million survivors of childhood sexual abuse live in America today.
Sexual abuse can occur at all ages, probably younger than you think.
- The median age for reported abuse is 9 years old.
- More than 20% are sexually abused before the age of 8.
Source: Darkness to Light, 2012.
What the Numbers Tell Us Locally:
Of 203 child victims between July 2011 and June 2012 . . .
- 57% were female; 43%, male.
- Ages of child victims ranged from 4 months to 18 years old.
- The average age of victims was 9.
- In 95% of local cases, the child victim knew the alleged abuser well.
- 90% of cases were for sexual or severe physical abuse.
- Over half of the non-offending caregivers of these child victims joined a therapist-led support group.